Mar 12, 2014

Shooters

So in between writing my final papers, and working on homework, I've been slowly putting in the minutes on Resistance 2.



I came to a simple conclusion. The only difference between a first person shooter and a rail shooter isn't much. In a rail shooter you hold on and let it run, where in a FPS you have to do the walking yourself. You're never allowed to look where they don't want you to be, you don't get to take any other path other than the one that they have, and the biggest decision you get to make is which gun you're going to shoot to kill the baddies.

The hallways are fun shapes, and sometimes they even look like buildings or cities, but in the long run in both rail shooters and fps's you walk down until you hit specific points, kill everything, then move on to the next point to get your kill on. There is an attempt to have some story line, but you don't actually tell the story, you're not a part of it, you just have to hit the right trigger points for the cut scenes to happen, and then the game takes control for the story to happen.

I get it, it's mindless, and there's not much you can really think about, and I see the appeal. I know that I'm missing out on a large chunk of the play as well because I avoid online competitive play. Sorry, but I don't want to deal with that.

Now, I will admit that there are some amazing graphics and sky boxes. I mean they are down right impressive at some points, but then you realize that as amazing as intricate as some of those sky boxes are, you'll see a cut scene where a guy's backpack isn't separate from their body, like they're welded together. Awe inspiring backgrounds, but what am I supposed to do with an amazing background when there's not a chance in the world that I'm going to ever actually go to it and see it, or have anything to do with changing it?


Can't wait until I get done with my FPS/rail shooters on my bookshelf. Only a few more to go (Resistance 2, 3, Bioshock 2, 3) and then I'll finally be done looking down a barrel of a gun with the main story line being- there's bad people- kill them.

PS- Much like the action game Devil May Cry and the fighter game Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, because this is out of my wheelhouse of gaming, do not expect me in any way shape or form going for 100% on them. I just want to get them out of the way, be happy that they're on my finished bookshelf, and then never see them ever again. Not a chance in the world that I would put the time and effort into one of these to try to 100% them. Doing the game on the easiest difficulty for story line is enough for me, I don't need to do it on the hardest setting, never save, or get the highest possible rank in online multiplayer to get the 100% trophy. No thank you. I'm here to get the story line, finish the game and walk away. 

No comments: