Jul 8, 2014

I'm enjoying this email thing

For those that don't know the fun things that you can do with Blogger, you can send emails to yourself and whatever you put in the email gets posted up on the blog. Now, I'm not about to start handing this email out because there would be some interesting spam given to it, but it's a nice way to get around things at work because instead of showing me writing on the blog, my screen is simply me writing an email and emails are part of the job! Yay!

Anyways, the partial reason that I'm writing is because I'm bored, and the secondary reason is something that I was listening to yesterday. Yay for NPR being a source of inspiration for too much lately! Weird connections from my brain to this point, but if I ever get 'big' and make it to a point where a story of mine makes it into a movie or anything like that (doubtful, but here's hoping for the best) I would just like to make it clear now, I really have no preferences to race specifics with actors that play my characters.

What I mean is that none of my characters are set in a specific race. For example all four narrators in DA could be any race that you want. Britney doesn't have to be a literal blond for her to be a dumb blond. Trust me, I know enough people that have dark hair that are just as stupid. It's a state of mind to be a dumb blond and some of the best at it are not blond. Shoot, if you get good enough actors, or the director wants to try something particular with it, genders aren't even set in stone. It'd take a little bit of re-writing some of the relationships but it's possible for Pia to be Peter, David to be Danielle, Britney to be Brian, and Kendel to be Kendra.

I sort of get how in some stories gender or race would be important, but really, in everything that I've written up to this point I can't really think of any particular story or character that is particularly set in being white. So 80 years from now when this blog is deleted and there's no evidence of it in any way, just try to remember that I really don't care who gets put into what role, or even how you interpret the story. If you think Kendel is black, let him be black, I don't care. There's no right answer, and I think I've even managed to stay back, for the most part, in giving super set descriptions on any/most of my characters. I'm typically not okay with reader response theory, but when it comes to my characters, use your imagination and make them what you think works best, I don't care; just as long as the story stays the same (and race doesn't change the story).

No comments: