Jul 17, 2014

EDM at EDC

I'm slowly working my way through my EDC playlists each 24 hours long (because they cover multiple stages) and it's been fun to hear all of it without having to deal with any of the costs or crowds of EDC.

But with that in mind, there's one (newish) genre of EDM that I just can't get behind - Trap.

I'm assuming the name comes from techo+rap = trap and it's a bad mix.

Some say that Original Don is trap


 and it's a good little quazi introduction into trap, but after listening to a few sets of nothing but trap I can't stand it. It runs at close to the beloved 180 bpm, and then when it peaks instead of blowing up, it cuts into half time (90 bpm) with nothing but barely a bass rumble. I don't know what it is about the genre but it is just annoying to listen to.

For example, here's an annoying one - https://soundcloud.com/edmchicagorecords/borgore-live-edc-las-vegas-2014?in=edmchicagorecords/sets/edc-las-vegas-2014-live-sets Go to about  2:30 in, and you'll hear a nice, upbeat, D&B section. It's not exactly my flavor of techno, but it's at least moving enough that you can do something with it. Builds up to about 4:00 and then slows down to a crawl with the bass buzzing and the ANNOYING trumpet at the top of everything just blaring on.

That's how the entire thing goes. It gets into a nice pace, a nice rhythm and then just when it's about to get to the best part of a song it slows down and you're faced with a droning bass line and an ear piercing trumpet line all in the name of 'dropping the bass'. It's not as wubby as dubstep, but it's just as annoying. What makes it even worse is that the DJ's that are spinning it don't know how to transition between songs. I mean I've heard so many train wrecks between songs in trap that it's starting to get irritating. Just because you're playing a harder style does not mean that you can just hit play, you still need some skill.


No comments: