Jul 25, 2014

Ahhhh Man!!!!

*Sad face*

I've been going through the journals, reading through their websites, trying to see what they have for submission standards, and starting to think of what stories I will submit to them, or what I want to submit to them.

One of them that I was really looking forward to was a journal called "Stealing Time" which is supposed to be a motherly parenting magazine. I really wanted to be snarky and do one where I talk about raising Addison and being a part time stay at home parent, as well as a part time student, and a part time worker, and throughout the entire thing start to drop hints at how I wasn't a woman, and then at the end come straight out and say that I am a dad who was/is a stay at home mom.

There's been a few others that I was sort of looking for, but they haven't published anything or accepted submissions in a few years so I think they're out of business. Either way, if you're a person in charge of a journal, I would love to help you out with your slush piles. Every single one that I'm researching is at least a month behind schedule, and have response times to submissions that are "1-3 months". Do you understand how long that is? To wait 3 whole months just to hear that you're not getting published? That's insane. I'd gladly donate some hours into cracking into some of those stories and essays to let that response time get down to a better window.

The only thing more annoying than a journal being out of business is a business that sounds interesting and has an interesting statement about themselves, but then when you look into their submission process it costs you money to submit. I'm sorry, but I"m not going to pay money to get told no. If I wanted to that, I'd just start handing money over to Addison and asking her an basic question (she only knows how to answer questions with 'no' for now).

No comments: