Sep 15, 2015

Investment In a Secondary

Tonight was another bust at the game store. No one showed up, and the staff looked a little shocked when I told them that I was there ready to play because apparently no one still plays.

There is one possible solution - get a second army.

Right now, I have one army. It's a big one, but I have it. There's always the option of making it bigger, getting more options, and showing all sorts of stupid things going around with it. However, there's also the option of getting a small(er) secondary army, so that other people I know could have something to play if/when the opportunity comes up. The question then comes what I should have as the secondary army.

Beastmen - not a chance. I don't like them, I don't want to paint them, I'm just not a fan.

Bretonian - too many random dudes on horses. Sure there's other options, but dudes on horses with more dudes on horses with a side of girls on horses isn't exactly my flavor of diversity in an army.

Deamons - look awesome, thee different options to play with, but a hair too 'weird' even for a person who plays vampires. There's not that many times that you can show off a deamon army to a person who doesn't play and they don't go O_o because they just look weird if you don't know the fluff and know what to expect. Also, not the most diverse group with tactics, sort of limited.

Dark Elves - not a huge fan of their look (because everything is black) but a good mix of army. They've got ranged, they've got meele, they've got calvary, they've got war machines, and they've got some nasty monsters. They're an option, but that selling factor to other people is a little weird at times because simply some models rely a little too heavy on dark elf boobs.

Dwarfs - slow, fat, stubborn. Magic is non existent, but they've got cannons, and cannons, and cannons. I'm not a huge fan of how they look, but really there's not that many options for an army, and it's just different ratios of the same four or five things, which isn't always a bad thing.

Empire - The "Mario" race. This and high elves are where I'm leaning right now. I like Empire just because the diversity of Empire is MASSIVE. You can build it so many different ways, and it's just average on just about everything, that it's good point but also it's bad point. The models are a bit 'meh' but at least they're better than dwarfs where I don't like any of them.

High Elf - This is the other runner up for the secondary army. They're super tactically heavy, they have a decent everything, and their only problem is that they're a hair glass cannony, which is what I love in games. A good glass cannon is always fun. They have monsters, they have infantry, they have machines, they have good diversity, and they can be strong, they just happen to go bad fast when things go bad for them.

Lizardmen - dinosaurs. For being a bunch of lizards, I'm not a huge fan of them. I don't know what it is, but I've never been a fan of the Mayan lizards.

Ogres - big, fat, and scary. There's potential, but again, seems a little flat in strategy. You get big, you get fat, and you run at things. The models are also big, fat, and ugly, just like the army. It's not one of those things that you look at and are impressed with, you look at it and see a mob of fat guys.

Orcs and Goblins - These are the troll options. They don't work out the way they want you to, they aren't exactly stable, but they do okay. They're okay, but I've never really loved them.

Skaven - I do not want another horde army. As fun as it is to have (literally) over a hundred zombies, I don't need to make another swarm. No thank you.

Tomb Kings - I've already got vampires, why would I want to deal with even more skeletons?

Warriors of Chaos - the point sink that they could do would be amazing. They're on par with Ogres with being big and fat, but only on the fluff side of things. Fielding only a dozen models, each tricked out with a stupid stat line and a ridiculous amount of stats is very possible with them, and the good news is that they don't look stupid. They fall into the category of a bit one sided as they have no ranged or siege machines, but I can't talk because I'm a VC player that doesn't have those things either. The good news is that the weird things from deamons could be used in WoC.

Wood Elves - I like some of their looks, and having trees are always an interesting thing, but at the same time, they don't feel like a solid force when I see them on the table. They seem sort of flat and one strategy sort of approach so I'm not a huge fan of putting them as the secondary.

That covers all of them. It will most likely come down to High Elves or Empire, once I get a solid paycheck and am not afraid of going super broke, I'm going to have to keep an eye out on Ebay, and then it'll most likely come down to whichever one shows up with the better deal. 

No comments: