May 26, 2015

Mindset

I don't know where I picked it up, but somewhere along the line, I decided that if I'm going to invest into something that I'm going to get the best I can possibly get out of it, and most likely I'm going to do it all myself.

Ragnarok -  solo-ed most of my levels into 99/70, multiple times. I farmed most of my cards (that dropped at .03%) and everything was typically a solo act.

Writing - solo created and edited most of what I do, even self published.

Fire poi - self taught, don't play well with others, but generally speaking taught myself most of what I know now.

Most of the games that I care to mention - I do them solo. I get everything I possibly can out of it, and I do it as great as I can with what I've been given.

The more I look into my hobby that isn't even my hobby (seriously, right now, it's more of a hobby just to look at what's out there and the potential that could happen, and has nothing to do with what I actually own or do) Warhammer people confuse me and approach things as I would never, or could never, do.

First, there is the investment into the whole thing. As we've covered before, crack is cheaper. If I'm going to pay that much money for something, please believe that I'm going to do it myself. The unfortunate side to this is that some people spend that much money, and then rush and half do everything that they touch.

Yet again, this is just me being me, but if I'm going to do anything, even if it's throw away items that no one cares about, I'm going to do the best I can on them. I do not understand people that do any of the following things -

1- Pay someone else to model and paint for you.
2- Do a horrible job on their miniatures. If you're going to spend that much money to play the game, how are you going to walk into it, and say things like, "Don't look too close at the normal pieces."?

There are people out there that have MASSIVE armies. . .

but they had other people do the hobby for them. Part of the hobby is putting them together and painting. 

Sure there are professionals out there that can turn plastic chunks into one massive army in under a week, but what fun is that? Where is the fun of saying that you created it, that you painted them, and that you were the one that did everything on your super legendary army awesome of doom?
That's cool and all that a team of professionals can turn that around in a week, but what did you do? The only thing you did was shell out a ridiculous amount of cash for someone else to do all of the hard(fun) work. That's good for you that you can spend thousands of dollars on a hobby, but it's sort of takes the fun (in my eyes at least) out of the entire game. Part of the point of this is to go in and do each of your own things, putting your own signature on your pieces. To let someone else do that for you just takes that away.

I'd much rather have a messy, poorly done army that I can call my own, rather than an immaculate spread of figures that someone got paid to make for me. For example, I have a chaos army sitting in a box that is AMAZINGLY painted by the previous owner, but I never show it, I don't really think of it as anything worth mentioning because I had nothing to do with it, however my Zacharias is always out on my bookshelf, and I show that thing with pride because it was my first major hero piece and was created from start to finish with every trick I knew at the time, in it. I mixed every single color that is on that hero, and there's not a single dot of paint that I regret, because I did it. It's not professional level, but I'm proud of it because I did it.

In short, as much as I think this game is interesting, and as crazy as it would be to be able to table a 60,000 point army (remember normal armies are 2,000 points, and seriously, if you want to talk points all you have to do is take all of the optional bonuses (that don't even change the visual outlook of your model) and it's easy to turn 2,000 points into 4,000 without too much work), I'd much rather go piece by piece and be proud of every single piece that I own, instead of focusing only on the 'important' ones. That means that if I ever get masochistic enough to go out and buy stuff to do this, that I plan to spend more than two seconds creating something ugly.
As a person who likes himself a healthy amount of zombies, this guy knows what's up when it comes to it. Say what you will about those other pieces in a mass produced army, I'd much rather spend time and effort and make my stupid zombies look like this than to just 'meh' through everything.

No comments: