Apr 17, 2015

Small Things - My American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/75/kindness-of-strangers

This entire show was about big kind things (or even big bad things) where strangers were being nice to one another. Most of my life there's never been one of these moments. I've seen smaller bits of kindness, and there's been moments where I've even tried to be that nice person, but they're never that big. It's giving a person an ear that they can talk to, or moving from your seat to have a person to sit down, but they're never that big.

Nice things that happen to me aren't that often, and typically speaking, they're never from strangers. Honestly speaking I can't remember what a true stranger has done to me that was nice. I've had co-workers, or even family do small things like make sure I had the right chair at work (it got taken away and one of my co-workers found it and gave it back to me, it's super comfy and fits my desk!) but as for strangers, not so much.

You'd think that there'd be more out there considering I live in the mighty promised land of Utah, but really, the nicest thing that someone that I didn't know has done for me begins and ends with letting me merge into their lane during a traffic jam that merited the 'hey bro, just saw what you did there' hand wave.

Even things that have been happening in my life, with my close friends and family, is either super duper small things that are being nice, or it's nothing. That's the tricky part about this is that my birthday was recently, and so if we're counting that, people were super nice, but it's because it was my birthday. You can't count the day where people have to be nice to you.

Other than that, I can't think of any thing that has been happening to me that's been nice. I guess I could count things like last night Alicia helped clean up a bit after Addison, but that was because the carpet cleaner was coming over and we had to clean up. The important note to this is that she didn't do that much, it was just a few toys in the front room, but it was still something.

The biggest thing that recently could count as being nice was that I was at graduation super late and asked if Alicia could pick up Addison from daycare and she did. That was really nice because it made me not stress about having to pick her up from daycare, but even then it wasn't just because she wanted to be nice, but because if she didn't Addison wouldn't have been picked up.

It's sort of depressing thinking about it that way, but that's life. People aren't always going to be helpful and kind. Try as hard as you want to think otherwise, and even with the few experiences where people are nice, it's not that common. Even to their family and friends, people don't do kind things just because.

No comments: