Mar 25, 2015

TV - My American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/67/your-dream-my-nightmare

I don't like watching TV.

It's not because I'm hipster or anything like that, I just do not like watching TV. The reason is simple, I get bored.

Sitting on a couch and doing nothing but watching a TV is a bore. There's nothing keeping me awake, there's nothing that is interesting. Whenever I watch TV I think about anything besides what is on TV. I think about what I'm going to be teaching in my class the next day, what I'm going to cook for dinner, what I'm going to write about, what game I'm going to play, or any other action that I am going to take, because watching TV is not a serious action. I know that it's a verb, and it's something that you do, but active thought is not involved with it in any way shape or form.

People say that they watch TV to 'turn off their brain' or something along those lines. I agree with that. Watching a TV turns my brain off, but it turns it off too well, and it makes me think about nothing. If I'm going to relax, I want to do something to help me turn off my brain. Writing is my quick go to when I want to relax. Writing is an activity that I love to do to turn off my brain. It gets me sleepy, it gets my brain focused on something else, and I'm still doing something. Even playing a video game is something that I can actually do to relax my brain and turn it off for a bit, because I'm actively doing something, I'm modifying and creating something.

The whole, your heaven, my hell, idea comes because where I like to do anything but watch TV, Alicia LOVES watching TV. Her dream vacation of relaxation would include a lot of time sitting in front of the TV.

Now with that being said, it's one of those things that it seems so closely related that you start to wonder why I would hate watching TV so much, but for my dream vacation I would e seated in front of a TV or monitor myself playing a game or writing. The difference is my participation within the relaxation. With a TV, I'm not a participant, I'm just an observer, which I can't stand. I don't like it when I have to sit back and observe, I want to be doing something.

For Alicia she loves watching TV and observing, and because I super duper love her, she wins the control over the TV when we're at home, so we watch TV shows. I don't like it, in fact I have to find other things to focus on because it gets so boring to me that it physically becomes uncomfortable for me to keep watching, but she's my person so I do it. It's her heaven, but it's my hell.

No comments: