Mar 19, 2015

I Cat Say That It Dose

I love student reviews. Love them. They're an amazing tool to see what my students think of me, and how I fit within their view of an educator. At the same point, I have the added bonus of seeing how well my work has done during the semester because part of my job is to help them write in an educated and professional manner.

There are students who show that they have learned, and have put in the effort to learn, and their reviews are well written with full sentences with proper punctuation and grammar. Then there are students who have sluffed off class, don't care about what I'm talking about, and don't pay attention in class, and their reviews of me are just awesome.

The winning comment this go around was to the question that went along the lines of, "How does this class stimulate thinking?"

The winning comment falls from the keyboard of a student who from day one thought my class was annoying and stupid and has given no effort to try to learn. His response was, "I cat say that it dose."

Now, let's be perfectly clear. I do not see his name on the reviews. I don't know with 100% accuracy who wrote that review. It could have been ANYONE in the class of 10 people. But just with that amazing sentence I can knock out at least 1/2 of the class because I know that five of them would never, ever, catch themselves writing like that now days. Then I can slowly process of elimination, thinking about assignments that were just turned in to me, and think about of those five other students, who would ever write a sentence like that? It turns out, he wrote winner sentences like that in his homework that he just turned in. It's not an exact science, but I know exactly who it is without knowing exactly who it is that wrote it.

The same goes for my other classes. I know their writing styles enough, and know their words enough that I can tell who wrote what about me. It's not 100% sure, and there's some that are a bit ambiguous as to who wrote them, but typically speaking, the worse their writing and their critiques of me, the higher the chance is that I have a pretty good idea of who wrote it. I have a few other winners that I might put in here later, but for now, the winning comment of today from my students, "I cat say that it dose."

No comments: