Mar 12, 2015

Summer Jobs Are the Best Jobs - My American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/64/summer

All of my favorite jobs have been summer jobs.

Given, I've only really had two jobs during the summer, either life-guarding in Las Vegas, or working grounds crew at BYU.

The best part about a summer job, and it's sort of how I met my wife and really quite true, is that during the summer you get to do just about whatever you want and be whatever you want. During the school year, I was the super nerd. No shame, no bashing, it's who I was. Come on people, I've already admitted to going to nationals for a SCIENCE competition, don't make me have to show you even more about how big a nerd I am/was. However, during summer, especially as a lifeguard, I was in a swimsuit and tee shirt just like all of my other co-workers, and I was part of the group. They didn't know I was a nerd, they didn't know that I was reading Dante for fun (or at least not until I brought it to work and started reading it during my break), they only thought that I was a kid who knew how to swim and liked coaching swim team.

The same went for my summer job at BYU. We knew that we were all BYU students, and we knew that we were in school, but during that summer job everyone on the team was created equal. Mowing the field was good enough for all of us, and we were all covered in dirt any day that we had to lay sod, and it was perfect. During those times we were all equal, we were all on the summer crew of the grounds team.

Summer jobs are where the fun and games are at. Even teachers understand that summer jobs are the best jobs because they get the opportunity (if they're lucky) to take off summer and do something else with their life. 

No comments: