Mar 30, 2015

IM MESSAGE OF DOOM! - My American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/70/other-peoples-mail

My freshman year I got in trouble for a bunch of things, and I didn't make the best deicions I have done in my life, but the one that got me in the most trouble was the IM message of DOOOOM!

I can not find it, and it makes me somewhat happy that I can't.

The message was from my very first roommate to his girlfriend back home. I had seen them chatting to one another, when he left the room for class and left his computer up with the AIM chat still open with his girlfriend. She even wrote a few things while he was gone.

It was just sitting there, staring at me.

I kept seeing it update, I didn't know what it was about, and I just had to know. I did the unforgivable thing, and grabbed his computer and read the AIM message that was sitting right in front of me and it turned out to be the most amazing/horrible thing ever, because he was sex chatting his girlfriend who he was apparently sleeping with.

Let's all remember that this is freshman year at BYU where there's an honor code, everyone is expected to be super moralistic, and life is supposed to be clean, chaste, and pure. Having a girlfriend that you hold hands with is a big deal, but having a girlfriend talking about how she just wants to have your hands up her shirt touching her, and other more explicit details is just about the most insane thing that you can ever think of.

There's a reason that Robert and I never made it past Thanksgiving break, because I was not smart in how I used that information, nor was I understanding to his situation. It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't exactly his mail that I opened up and started to read, but the results were about the same. It was something personal that he didn't want me to read, and I did exactly what I should not have done and opened it up and read every single word of it.

On an unrelated note, you'll notice that I'm not writing nearly as in depth as I used to, and my story telling is cutting things a bit short. Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I'd much rather have partial stories and ideas up here working through My American Life, than to have no writings at all. For now, while I'm doing a million different things at once, you're getting shorter things. 

No comments: