Jan 7, 2016

Working Hard, And Hardly Working

A few things from today.

First, again, I paint dark angel helmets better than people that paint dark angel armies. I'm sorry.

 Unfortunately you can't see that paint job in normal pictures of the unit because it's hiding under the entire unit and you have to hunt to see it. I just wanted to show it off for a few seconds.

Also, in that note finally finished off the warp talons. They don't exactly match the marines that I did with the color blend, but I couldn't find a good place on these guys to put the blend. I guess I could have done some really outrageous sort of things and try to put the color blend in those places, but for this one time I went pretty typical with my paint job of all five units (that took me way too long than what it should for only five units).
 For those wondering - the layers went a little like this -
1- grey primer
2- dark blue base
3- med/light blue dry brush
4- black ink wash
5- blue metalic detail
6- base black on footing stuffs
7- grey dry brush on footing
8 - detail on footing (green helmet, skull on an alt base, I should go back and fix some of these it's where my least detail is on these guys. In general I need to work my bases better all across the board, but I'm learning)
9 - light blue dry brush
10- touch up

That means that my PAINTED army, looks a little bit like this
 So, who's next?

I like working from the ground up, and with the smaller point value stuffs being done, it's time to start tackling the bigger point value units, and we're going hyper point value. Just to give you a tone of rough/quick point values of what I have versus what I'm about to do -
Cultists - 4 pts a model
Marines - 13 pts a model
Warp Talons - 30 pts a model
This next group - 31 pts a model, but that's not counting ANY of their upgrades with weapons, marks, icons, and all of the crazyness that they can actually throw around. The real math, when they start using what they're actually holding starts punching in around 36 or even 37 a model.

That's right, we're to the always scary and impressive terminators. And thanks to my recent christmas/birthday present to myself, I doubled my terminator population to ten. My original five are primed and grey, the new ones came primed in black, so tomorrow I'm going to start the base coating and start looking at where I can dump that yellow/orange/red color blend into these nasty beasts.
And yes, if we're being official on point value, the thousand sons unit(s) are base value a lot lower than what these guys are (they're base in the 20's), I JUST GOT THEM. They're not primed, and some of their super glue is still curing, not to mention that I finally stripped two of them of the rough paint job that they had today as well. This unit is the next unit up to bat because of logic and I feel like it. 

The really scary one that I'm not looking forward to just because I've been working on unit models for a long while since I started painting back up again, is that I want to do my hell drake. It's a WICKED model, and I want it to look amazing, but I don't know just how much I want to play with it. I can do a low color blend like I did with the talons, or I can do something REALLY stupid with him. 

Knowing me I'm going to go with the really stupid (read time consuming) paint job. 

No comments: