Jan 26, 2016

It's So Evil It Just Might Work - Warhammer

I got my assignment for the 1500 point game, and it's based off off 'kill points', but the thing is that the setting for the game is a little wonky, because if anything dies, it doesn't die.

https://crusadeforroannoke.wordpress.com/missions/Black%20Crusade/

Read there for the it comes back if you kill it thing.

The bonus stupid part to this is that I'm going up against Tau, which is one of the most broken armies in the game, super over powered, and a terror to even see on the list because I know that there's no way that I'm going to do well in this match up. Knowing that I'm not going to do well, now is the time that I get to pull out all of the stupidity that I can muster, and do something annoying and cheesy, but potentially workable.

Kill points is based off the basic idea that if you kill an entire unit, it counts as one point. With the system that is set up, once something dies, it just comes back on the board a few turns later ready to give your opponent even more points. This boils down to a very simple idea for me - don't let him kill me. I don't mind if I don't do much killing, but as soon as I feed one kill, it's not going to look good because then it'll just start snowballing out of control and I'll be feeding points left right and center. To put it as nicely as possible, I tried to make it impossible to kill any unit, and if a unit did die, they have the very real possibility to avoid death when they come back.

My entire army is as follows
Chaos space marines - maximum point value. Tricked out, in a rhino, that is also tricked out with extra armor and fun and games to make it hard to hit. No points spared. I can (and should) consider going with more thousand sons here, and having two units of thousand sons, because that'd be interesting, but for now we're going to stick with what is painted and treat it as is.
Thousand sons - in a rhino. Fancy rhino, but still sticking around for a while is hopefully what they do best.
A ten man unit of terminators - bye bye warp talons, you look awesome but really sort of suck. Hello, ten wounds of having the best saves the game can possibly give me to dodge bullets and tank an explosion. Seriously, the amount of damage these guys can survive is stupid, and the guy I'm fighting against is going to have to take on ten of them.
A terminator sorcerer - shoved in with the terminator squad he's another two wounds of tanky tank on more tank.
Helldrake - It's pure job is to fly around, poop fire out on things, and run away. Never die. If it gets close to dying, run off of the table and back into reserves.

That gives my entire army a grand total of five kill possible kill points, and within those kill points I have two units who come attached to a rhino so they can run and hide, one unit who has some of the best (if not the best thanks to mark of Tzeentch stacking with all sorts of stupid fun stuff essentially giving them a 2/3 chance of dodging ANYTHING, even things that are super powerful) saves in the game, and a flyer that is the only thing cheesy enough that might stand a chance against Tau.

The bonus round to this strategy is that at the start of the game again I'm only fielding two things (my rhinos) and they're going to show up as far away as possible from the death. I'm planning on running the exact same strategy that I did last time. Pull the opponent army across the table to look at the squishy opening and then hopefully deep strike behind them with a ten man unit of terminators and wreck face.

I doubt that it'll work, because it never works that well, but at least this time I have some intention behind what I'm fielding and some basic strategy. Which was a whole lot better than my first games where I just looked at stuff and said, "Why not? Let's do something stupid!"

The only thing that I'm hopping for with this is that the Tau player brings in a lot of gun lines. Lots and lots of gunlines that I can smash through.

No comments: