Oct 6, 2015

Skeletons

With the zombies finished, I moved onto the skeletons. Without hyping it too bad, I'm starting to like how my army is coming together. They're all still skeletons, but they match Mannfred and it's starting to look really good.

Because I'm lame, here's a bunch of pictures now.
This is my skeleton primed and ready for paint, I'm lame so I use a grey primer. I didn't want to commit to either a white or a black, so I decided to go lame and do straight in between. But I like it because from this grey I can then do a base coat of black and/or white at the exact same time depending on what I want it to look like. Like this -
 That is nice and all, but it's not nice enough, so I then go through, give a second coat of ivory on the bones, give white highlights, then wash the entire thing with a black wash. Base coat the cloth blue, edge highlight the blue with a light blue, base coat all browns and give them highlights as well, and then finally top the entire thing off with silver on everything else. Then we finally find ourselves facing these guys.



There's only ten of them done right now, but at least there's ten down.

The really weird part about this is that I have always said that I will not speed paint. To me, what I have done with these skeletons is borderline speed painting, because I could easily go back in and try for a bit more detail, but I don't. The weird part about all of this is that these 10 really didn't take me that long while sitting in the chair. They've taken a long time outside of the painting because life has made it so I haven't painted much of anything, but when I did have time, it really wasn't that hard to follow the step that I just wrote above on each model and make them look like a cohesive whole. 

Sure, it could have been faster, but it's going faster than what I originally expected, so at least there's that. The only sad part about all of this time and effort is that they're skeletons. There's not a chance in the world that someone is really going to ever stare at them that close because they're skeletons, they're just going to die, and they come by the dozens. 

Either way, painting still helps me zen out and think about anything outer than life, and so I don't mind taking the time to make these look right, it's relaxing. The good news is that I have a bucket full of relaxing coming my way from Texas, but that's also the bad news. I underbid the auction by $100 (originally $300, I put in for $200 assuming that it wouldn't be accepted) it was accepted. Hopefully that army will be here by next week Tuesday, but with that purchase I'll have somewhere around 4k worth of high elves sitting  around ready to start the fight, from there on out, no more purchasing. 

I really want to put an "unless. . ." because there are at least two more things that I REALLY want for my VC army, but until I paint a whole lot more I couldn't even use them so I'm just going to hold of on the Mortis Engine and the vargulfs, vargeists, I don't know, but the unit of monsterous infantry that is really strong and heavy hitty. Those are the two units that I'm keeping my eyes out for if they ever go on sale or anything like that because I like them because they look cool, and also because they would totally kick butt to have the possibility to field them. 

Well, it's getting late and my writing is getting very bad, to the point where I'm literally falling asleep as I write these things, so I'm going to sleep. Hopefully in the morning when I look this over I won't cringe too much.

No comments: