Aug 17, 2015

My One Rule

When I'm writing, I have always had one rule - I'm only allowed to work on one thing at a time. I know who I am, and I know that I will easily start twenty different things and be exactly like my grandma and have a houseful of started or half finished projects and nothing that is actually finished.

My family is the stars of half finished projects, or starting a project with only the 'best of intentions' or whatever else you want to say. We're the ones that see amazing things, love it, and then do it for a while until we see another thing. This is part of the reason that I have my platinum rule with games. I'm going to stick to one game at a time because I know that if I allow myself I will play everything in my bookshelf for two minutes and never play more than that.

There's a bit of reasoning behind what I'm doing, but it basically boils down to me following Sarah Kay's understanding of writing, and that writing helps her work through things. Writing hasn't helped me through something for a while, and there's something that I want to write through, so it's going to happen.

That is why I'm going to break my rule. I'm going to have my story that I'm writing for.

Edit - it has only been really one night worth of writing on it, and I'm starting to figure things out. Even if it has been line edits, I most likely won't be writing on it for much longer. I'm starting to sort things out. It's totally true that writing helps me think through things. 

No comments: