Dec 11, 2014

Stuck With Me - My American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/28/detectives

To explain just how much This American Life has been part of my life, this is one of the first episodes that I could ever remember. I can't remember exactly where we were driving to or from, part of me thinks it was to a cello lesson, other parts of me thinks that it was driving back from LVYO practice. Either way, I remember it being my mom driving, and us listening to this episode becuase it's specifically where a PI is tailing a person and they get on the discussion about how no one ever notices who is driving behind them, and for how long they've been doing it.

I remember that while listening to this episode, they ask the question along the lines of, "Okay, without looking in your mirror, what car is behind you, and how long have they been there?" I turned to my mom and wanted her to answer it, expecting that she wouldn't be able to do it, because that's what the radio said. The radio said that most people wouldn't know and they wouldn't be able to tell you because most people only worry about what's in their mirrors when they want to change lanes. And then, my mom busted out and told me exactly who was behind us, the color, the type, and even went as far to say that she thought that it was a guy who was driving the van, and proceeded to tell me what she could remember about the driver. I was seriously impressed, and it's something that has always stuck with me. To this day, when I'm driving, this episode will come to my mind, and my mom's impressive response has stuck with me, so I keep track of who is driving behind me, what type of car it is, and if possible who it is that is driving the car.
This is one of those things that I keep an eye out for, if a person follows me for more than a few miles on surface roads, I start to keep even closer tabs on them, and I pay even closer attention to them and why they're driving behind me. I quickly start to think about random defensive driving techniques and how to loose people that are tailing me. I'll slow down, speed up, take a long route, or purposefully get close to a yellow light because I want to see if they'll follow me through.

This episode has stuck with me, it's one of the first that I can remember and it still has a place in my mind, it's just nice to finally, as an adult (hahahahaha, still think it's hilarious that I can say that I'm an adult) hear the entire thing start to finish.


No comments: