Nov 1, 2014

Novel November

With the lack of deadlines from school in my life, I've been putting off writing the ending of DA for a long time, I don't know, I'm still not in love with it. I have parts that I like, but it's just not the pop that I've always wanted. But with Novel November running around, I'm thinking that I just might have a goal in mind that I'm going to have to actually do, but I have to finish DA first, before I start putting a dent into the next thing.

With that in mind, I'm going to put a few sales pitches/outlines here of books that I want to write so I can show a few people them, and ask which they'd be interested in reading. Side note - as much as I enjoy the thought of writing the Angels story, it's a little too preachy, so until I figure out a way to diffuse the preachy, or at least mask the preachy a bit better, it's off the table to even be thought about. I don't mind writing the story, I just don't want to get preachy in my writing.

Enough rambling, onto the sales pitches -



4th wall - story where the main character falls in love for the girl next door that's always been his friend and he has to try to figure out how to get a relationship with her going, the twist - he knows he's a character in the book and holds conversations with the narrator all the time. Partially written first draft, deffinetly know where I want to go with it in the ending. Middle is a bit muddy, but it's only muddy if I let it be muddy.


Zodiac - I'm not 100% on premise, location, or even plot, but there's one thing that I absolutely know, and that the main characters (not quite sure if it's a series and I focus on one for each book, or just write one book from one point of view involving all 12 characters) that follow EXACTLY what they should be in their Zodiacs. It's no longer the possibility of an astrology thing being sort of correct, or being right in some areas, but not others, these characters follow their zodiac astrology to the letter. When you meet the Taurus, they are the living embodiment of a Taurus. Only bad news - I don't know my astrology well enough to pop out pages of it all in one go, would have to do some serious research.


Patterns - go back to my roots and do something I'm super duper comfortable with with a story of a high school kid that can tell patterns in things, gets recruited, and then runs away. Don't even know where I'd be going with it, I know at the end he ends up with his new friends, coming back to the place he ran away from, but I just don't know the path in the middle well enough to make it interesting enough to read. Possibly talked to Danica co-writing this and having her do the Frostad chapters (agent who is chasing after him). And to be clear, I want his pattern recognition to go beyond just 'smart math guy' or 'smart detective guy' (I'm looking at you Beautiful Mind and Sherlock) and even going past the 'smart military mind' sort of deal, I want him to know and detect patterns without thinking about it, without any understanding of the actual process, he is able to find people's every day patterns, sciences patterns, math's patterns, social patterns, and anything that could fit into a system that has order in it, he can understand it, what he does with it, and how proficient he is at altering the system itself is a little up for question, but at least he can understand what is going on and interpret the patterns that are around him.



PTSD - super with PTSD. Trying to live the super life, but having to deal with all of the stress and weirdness that comes with having done everything that they've gone through. Pretty much modern veteran problems with a super to address it a bit better. Problems, don't know enough about PTSD and would have to put in some serious research time, also, borderline preachy. It strikes a bit too obvious with a bit too much 'too soon' that much like Angels, I'm afraid it's be too heavy handed and too preachy, I just like the concept of a super (especially my flavor of supers) that gets PTSD and has to try to live with it, cope, or whatever else the options are. I don't know what it is, but I just really like and want to write a story, about the idea of a person who is beyond average, that is and should be considered a hero, brought down by PTSD. We always see supers go through so much, and having the idea of a super finally stopping and understanding what in the world they just did, and having it sit with them, and make them live with the consequences of their actions, THAT just sounds interesting to me.



No comments: