Nov 18, 2014

Cool Story Bro

"Hey Adam, are you done with that story?"

"Yeah! Here's the link! You should read it and tell me what you think"

"Cool."

THEN NOTHING



That's the end of that interaction.

The end, nothing more, we're done, let's go home, you're not going to hear a single word from them from here on out.

YOU KNOW WHAT!?

You want to know why I don't share my stories with people?

BECAUSE NO ONE READS THEM!

Want to know why I think my writing sucks?

BECAUSE EVEN MY BEST FRIENDS AND FAMILY DO NOT SPEND TIME TO READ IT!

Sorry, but next time you ask me about what I'm writing, the first questions out of my mouth are going to be, "What did you think about the last thing I sent you? Did you spend time to read that?"


Who cares if you thumbs up it, or like it, or whatever else, did you actually spend the time to read through the pages and READ it? Or did you just go, 'that's a cool wall of text, I guess I should +1 this just to make sure he recognized that he spent time on it'?

This isn't high school. This sure isn't college. There's no test on the book, but I sure as Hell can tell when you haven't read it! On this note, if you want to ever make me super duper happy and all that stuff, read something I've written and comment intellectually on it. INTELLECTUALLY is the key word in that sentence. Saying, "it's nice" is just about as helpful as that thumbs up that you gave me on Facebook. You want to really make me impressed, form a full coherent thought about a character or plot element that does not happen in the first ten or the last ten pages. It doesn't even have to be a positive thought, you could absolutely hate how I do X, Y, or Z and at least it'll show me that you spent time to read!


In review, for someone who would like to consider himself an author, there are some great things that you can do to make any author's dream come true (even published, super famous authors like the following steps)

1- Read the book
2- Think about the book
3- Form an opinion about the book
Bonus round if you do - 
4- Talk about that book with other people (or even the author!)

Until people show me that they can follow those three, or four, steps, NO MORE OF MY WRITING FOR YOU! (Well, not for specifically for you people, if you're reading this, you're at least onto step 3 because you're reading and thinking and starting to tell yourself if you like it or not, I'm always going to be writing something like this blog. No escape for you people to get out of me giving you random junk to read)

No comments: