Apr 3, 2014

Trust Issues- The Games I've Played

As I've been talking about in the other posts about the games I've played, friends have suggested certain games. I tried picking out games and got stuck with Sonic '06. They refer me to games, and I get amazing gems like Borderlands and Fallout 3.

By this point I was trusting of people that said, "this is the best game ever, you have to play it!" and so a friend handed me their copy of a game, and said that exact line. I assumed that they wouldn't lead me in the wrong direction, so I threw it in, and gave it a shot.


I popped it in, and started playing the story. I don't remember much of the story, but I can remember that every so often I'd switch the point of view that I was playing as. In one moment I'd be one guy, in the next, I'd be another, and nothing besides the cutscene between things happening, and what people on my radio were calling me really changed with the different characters.

This game is amazing to some, but I only finished the story line because I wanted to figure out if I could understand what in the world was going on. I still don't know what happened because Modern Warfare 2 follows the idea that I actually cared about Modern Warfare 1 and know who everyone is. I didn't. I made zero connection to the characters, didn't care about any of what was happening, and every time anything would happen all it boiled down to was start here at point A- run towards point B- kill anything that isn't trying to kill you. You did that? Great. Time to move you to a different point A in a cutscene, and you'll do it all over again.

My rule about if the number 2 or higher not being an option in buying/giving me a game without some sort of introduction to the series, comes from this game.

My rule about the game needing to be a game, and not just an online multiplayer lobby also came from this game.



That's the worst part about this game, the story line is interesting and what you can do offline is fun (for some people) but the only real reason that anyone gets this game is to play online and shoot at strangers. Don't get me wrong, I like a good killing spree of people I've never met before like anyone else, but I don't always have the stabby urges, and most of the time while playing a game I want to unwind, not get wound up because people keep yelling at me, teabagging my corpse, and spawn camping.

This game is the reason for 'no fps games unless directly asked for' being a major rule of giving/suggesting me games. It's not fun. It's a modern version of a rail shooter, and a poorly made rail shooter at that. At one point I was running along with a platoon of soldiers ready to kick in some terrorist heads, and decided to stop and look around. I took too long looking at the art direction and the graphics that someone spent some good time on, and because I stopped the rest of the NPC's ran ahead of me and . . . killed everyone. I wasn't needed to progress the game forward. This didn't just happen once, but quite often in the campaign. I would stop and start looking at something, or try for a sneakier route to killing besides running straight towards the enemy with guns blazing, when the NPC's would assume I wasn't interested in killing and clear the map.

Then came some mechanical/technical issues that I had with the game. The game is about shooting a gun. Aiming, pulling the trigger, you know the deal. Apparently, aiming is too hard for some people, so the game provided a 'snap targeting' program where you would quickly tap and untap zoom on your weapon and the weapon would instantly target in on the thing you should be shooting. It wouldn't work if you were pointed in the wrong direction or you were looking a bit away from the target, but as long as you were looking in the general area of something you should shoot, you just do this quick zoom-unzoom trick and you're shooting with perfect accuracy. That's how much it would hold your hand. Not only does this game make it so that you don't have to actually work to progress the story, it also makes it so that you don't have to aim a gun in a shooting game.

Of course- regenerating health, checkpoints, and chest high walls scattered everywhere for convenient places to duck and cover in case you ever do take a dozen bullets and need a breather so you could heal up, are rampant in this game. It also does something that I refer to as Zelda syndrome. You work really hard (or not so hard in the case of MW2) to get a new toy. It could be anything, but typically a new way to kill people or move around. Once you get it, you use it once to do something super cool in a boss battle or some other great way. . . and then you never worry about that thing that rocked everyone's socks off ever again because you used it where it was needed and then decided to move on. You get a grenade launcher (super cool and deadly) and then only use it in a few set circumstances that are predetermined. You get the ability to use controlled drone strikes, and then never speak about them ever again. I honestly do not understand how that a game like this can have millions of followers and sales in the billions with such a horrible, miniscule, poorly designed, game that has some of the most toxic community. Why people keep coming back to it and saying that it's 'fun' is a mystery to me. Unfortunately, I didn't learn my lesson from taking advice from friends about games, and this wasn't the last time I got a bad recommendation from a friend.

No comments: