Dec 1, 2015

Not This Again - My American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/116/poultry-slam-1998

This STUPID poultry slam. Every year for Thanksgiving TAL does a poultry slam. It's supposed to be fun and up beat, but there's only so much I can say about Thanksgiving. Seriously guys, make a different episode so that I have something to write about with it.

But we'll move to this Thanksgiving because that just happened, and I still have turkey in my fridge.

The weekend before Thanksgiving I was sick. I don't know what it was, but the easiest way to describe it was a head cold. Everything was stuffy, life sucked, and on Monday I could have sworn that I was going to loose my voice. Luckily by Thursday I was back up on my feet and Alicia was the one who was sick in bed.
 
As interesting as I'd like to imagine that this was, it wasn't.

I made Thanksgiving.

All of it.

Again. 

And I have no problem with it, and sort of expect that next year I'm going to do the exact same thing, no matter if Alicia is sick in bed or not. We're such a backwards/crazy couple, we don't do anything close to normal. Normally, if Thanksgiving rolled around and the wife was sick in bed, for Thanksgiving everyone would be having PB&J or maybe some take out. Meanwhile there's us who would only freak out if I was the one sick in bed and unable to get up the stairs to make a killer pie (because believe me, it was killer. I ate the entire thing. I'd like to imagine that it was because Alicia was sick that she had no appetite (which also sucks during Thanksgiving) but really, I just love chocolate mousse pie).

The best part about this year was again Alicia finding out that Thanksgiving is not a seasonal food any more. This year she came to the realization that we could make a turkey whenever we wanted (only after I verified that stores do sell turkies year around) and then also figured out that those cheese balls covered in almonds are also sold year around.

They're not the easiest to find, but knowing where to look in a store, I can get either of those items whenever I would like to eat them.

The biggest shock to the system about all of this wasn't that we could just have turkey whenver we want, but that that would mean that I would only have to cook one time and then we'd have left overs for almost a week. Alicia was sold on this fact. I would only need to cook on Saturday, and then the food would last throughout the weekend, and then into the week so that we could just have leftovers with turkey in them.

This isn't because Alicia loves left overs. In fact she hates them. There's almost no meal out there that I can convince her to eat after it has been in the fridge long enough to get cold. Typically, I'm the only one that loves left over food. Alicia doesn't even love this idea because of how convenient it would be. One day of sitting around and making the house smell like turkey, and then no cooking at all for the next few days would be really nice (and it has been really nice). No, Alicia isn't interested in either of those things, she's just interested in turkey. She loves turkey that much that instead of thinking about anything else, she's just trying to figure out a way to increase her annual turkey count from one to two. Having a second turkey in the middle of April wouldn't be for any other reason than Alicia just loves a roasted turkey.

No comments: