Nov 11, 2015

Half of My Class Is Failing

I have a class of 16 students.

There are 5 major deliverables over the course of two sememsters. Two of those major deliverables were due on Monday. If they didn't turn it in, they couldn't get a grade on it, and if they don' get a grade on the assignment, they automatically fail the course.

Only eight of them turned in a paper.

I have no clue what I'm going to do. I don't want to fail half of my class because that is just rediculous. How in the world am I supposed to talk to my administration and tell them that half of my class didn't turn in a paper that we've been working on since the start of school in September? It just doesn't make sense to me how that would ever be an option, and the worst part about the entire thing is that even though only eight students turned in a paper, there were more than eight students in class that day.

I do not understand how a person could show up to class knowing that two major papers are due that day, and calmly sit through an entire lecture as if there wasn't a problem in the world. I had students that were freaking out because they thought they were a few minutes late, but at the same time I had students just chilling out in the back row like i wasn't a problem at all that they were about to fail the class. It is beyond confusing to me.

RIP bell curve.

No comments: