Sep 24, 2014

Same Ol' Thing - My American Life

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/16/economy

This episode was scary, because had you just changed some names around. People are still worried about the economy, people still are biased about political candidates, the national debt is still ridiculous, and nothing has really changed, but there is one that I'm sort of in relation to, and so I'll write about that here.

It's the whole idea that if you work hard, you'll make it.

It's the American Dream, you work hard, do your part, and you'll at least make it to middle class status. You'll have your own home, you'll have your 2 1/2 kids, and life will be comfortable because you work hard. The reality on the other hand is that you can work as hard as you can, but for some people no matter how hard you work, you're stuck living a low class life.

It's the curse of the temp worker. You can have experience, and you can even be good at your job, but because you're a temp worker, you're never going to get a raise, you're never going to progress.

It's sort of the world that I'm in right now. I have skills, I have education, I work my butt off on trying to hold down a job and work as hard as possible, but the honest truth is that if I was the only person in my household working, there wouldn't be enough money to pay the bills, yet alone live comfortably.

Fort hose that haven't read this book, it's actually pretty cool. She goes out and finds out exactly what I'm talking about, that you can work SUPER hard at entry level, and low end jobs, but no matter how hard you work, unless you're doing two different jobs, or living with multiple people that are doing the same thing, you can't live a normal life. You either get into a high amount of debt, or you just barely get by, but being 'comfortable' has less to do with how hard you work, and more with the level of education you get and the people you know. 

 Not exactly the best post I've ever popped out, but there's not much to say about poltiics that seem to repeat themselves.

No comments: