Sep 24, 2014

Endings

I hate them.

Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

They say that hate is a strong word and that you shouldn't use it. No, you should use it when you know that it's a strong enough for what you want to say, so yes, I hate endings to stories, especially stories that I'm writing.

The problem with writing story endings is that you have to say goodbye.

Now, that's not a particularly difficult problem in real life, people come and go, and you get over your goodbyes, but stories, and characters that you have made from your own mind, trying to say goodbye to them is like trying to say goodbye to a chunk of yourself and letting it go.

Do you want to know the reason that Alpha to Omega, and Trip (my two longest stories) are my longest stories? Because I had the opportunity to end them early, but I loved the characters too much, I was too attached to them, and too attached to the story to ever say goodbye to them so I kept writing.

These four idiots that are part of DA, are part of me. As much as I want to get rid of them and move on to something else, or even start doing (gasp) editing on their story, I don't want it to end because I love them so much. Remember how in previous topics I don't know or really have much experience with love? My characters, in a really weird way, are in the small category of 'people', if you'll allow it, that I love. Even the poorly written ones in high school (especially the poorly written ones in high school) have a place in my heart and I love them.

The worst part is, I totally play favorites with my characters near the end and it's hard to finish the story properly. As crazy as she is, and as anal as she is, I love Pia, and I don't want her story to end the way it does. I know it has to, and I know it is absolutely the best story ending that I can come up with that makes the entire trip worth it, and I know I know I know, but deep down inside I want someway to make it work for her.

Oh well. . .

I just have to suck it up, write my farewells to my characters, close my eyes and pull the trigger.

Bye you four (and a half, Omel, you totally count as a half even though you're hardly a supporting character) crazy fools. It has been a pleasure writing as you. 

No comments: