Jul 11, 2018

Daemons

As promised, some updates on what I've been painting lately.

First brimstones. I did a few layers of wash and dry brush and came up with this. . .

 But then I watched a few more things on youtube and it had a fairly good argument about contrast, and upping the contrast that you're working with on your models to help the details pop a bit more. I decided to give it a shot and came up with this.


I'm sort of a fan. I'm going to try playing around with it more and more on my next favorite model of all time. Then I tackled the heralds. Two heralds, one crooked on it's base and realizing that I don't care enough to fix it, PLUS a weird flaming base that I didn't know what to do with, and this is what I've got. I'm not super in love with either of them, but I do like the color fade to white on the tips of the tendrils.


So, brimstones kept me happy and taught me a bit, but then I started to tackle some color blocking and planning on this guy, and fell in love. It's a burning chariot with blue horrors riding shotgun. I've started to think about using that whole contrast thing, with the color blending that I run in just about everything I paint, and this model is going to be a fun trip.

It's going to take me a while to do all of the fire the way I want it to be done, plus the body blended the way I want it to, plus keeping the blues looking high contrast, plus doing the screamers to match all of the other screamers I have, PLUS making sure the metal looks right. It's going to be a heavy load, but just doing the color blocking today has made me fall in love with the sculpt and everything that can pull out of it.

No comments: